Brian Lovelace | Los Angeles & Santa Barbara Wedding Photographer | Commercial
Brian Lovelace is a Santa Barbara Wedding Photographer.
wedding photograher, los angeles, los angeles wedding photographer, santa barbara wedding photographer, commercial photographer, headshot photographer, portrait photographer, high fashion photographer
11
archive,category,category-commercial,category-11,qode-quick-links-1.0,ajax_leftright,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-17.2,qode-theme-bridge,disabled_footer_top,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.4.7,vc_responsive
 

Commercial

This past week I had the opportunity to create stunning new product photography at Hawke Media for a beauty company, Perlier. All images that have both a box and a product were shot separately and combined in Photoshop using advanced blending and masking techniques on adjustment layers. All photos were shot on a solid white bottom, with a 48″ Softbox in the background to highlight and create a natural drop shadow. A speedlight was used in the front, bounced off of two bounce boards to create a beautiful highlight on the front of the product.

Here are a few shots from a recent photoshoot with BedJet. As you may know, I am the lead photographer and videographer at Hawke Media. This was an incredible opportunity to challenge myself and learn a lot about creative corporate photography with larger products.

We shot the setup on an 18’x18′ cyclorama backdrop at Apex Studios in DTLA. My process involved using four Profoto strobes; one large 24″x36″ source as a key light, one strip box source as a hair light, another strip box source as a highlight for the BedJet product, and another bare bulb strobe to the white ceiling for even spread (fill) over the bed and model. The easiest way I found to ensure even spread while still keeping the products and model from becoming over and under exposed was by using my trusty light meter. I use the Sekonic L-758C, as an incident meter to judge the light all over the bed. My meter read a solid f8 aperture over the entire bed, which means I was getting close to what I wanted. After some tweaking, I managed to figure out that the missing component was the strip box ensuring that the BedJet was being highlighted well. I moved the strip box in closer and bam, we were good to go.

For post production, quite a bit of work was done to ensure that the products were depicted as modern and trendy. I used the healing brush tool on the backdrop’s floor, then desaturated the parts of the image that don’t have colorful components to -70. This helped bring out an even more minimal and clean feel. Some compositing was necessary to fix art-direction mistakes on set, such as the pillows not being centered or creases in the materials. After this, I decided to do a complete backdrop replacement. I selected the bed, bedside table and accents, and put them on a separate layer. On a layer below I added a gradient to help further emphasize the clean and minimal feel.