This past week I had the opportunity to create stunning new product photography at Hawke Media for a beauty company, Perlier. All images that have both a box and a product were shot separately and combined in Photoshop using advanced blending and masking techniques on adjustment layers. All photos were shot on a solid white bottom, with a 48″ Softbox in the background to highlight and create a natural drop shadow. A speedlight was used in the front, bounced off of two bounce boards to create a beautiful highlight on the front of the product.
An interesting new integration that I have found is a program called Plotagraph. Essentially what Plotagraphs allow, is for a user to take a photograph and plot an animation onto it. This has a particularly cool use on images with water and hair. Here’s a photo of my fiancee that I took with my phone and converted into a Plotagraph.
After 40+ tireless hours of hand animating, I created a fully vectorized animation of the Hawke Logo. To do this, I tirelessly used the pen tool to rotoscope a stock video that I found of an *eagle* landing on a perch. The original video had to be tracked to ensure that our Hawk landed where it belongs on the logo. To do this I used the camera tracker tool and pick-whipped the tracking data to an After Effects camera. This, in essence, stabilized the footage, making the bird’s final resting spot track along with the “k” in Hawke Media. This made it so all I needed to do was animate the bird, hide the rotoscope video, and add in the logo. The great thing about working in After Effects and using the pen tool is the fact that the video is now future proof. If 8K video someday becomes the golden standard, this video can be resized and re-exported in 8K glory since it was created using vectors.
Here is the original video the Hawk was rotoscoped from:
Here is an example of an engaging digital advertisement that I created using a combination of Photoshop & Permiere Pro. Since the most engaging aspect of the image is the sparkling, our marketing agency decided to exaggerate it with a light, and take multiple photos and make a gif out of it. From there I cut it out, and applied it out and put it on a color background to make it pop. For this engagement, the customer has been running a campaign called “Freak the Fest Out” to promote clothing to wear to festivals like Coachella and others. The content was delivered over multiple platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Instagram Stories, and Snapchat. The average engagement increased and generated greater than usual commentary.
Here are a few shots from a recent photoshoot with BedJet. As you may know, I am the lead photographer and videographer at Hawke Media. This was an incredible opportunity to challenge myself and learn a lot about creative corporate photography with larger products.
We shot the setup on an 18’x18′ cyclorama backdrop at Apex Studios in DTLA. My process involved using four Profoto strobes; one large 24″x36″ source as a key light, one strip box source as a hair light, another strip box source as a highlight for the BedJet product, and another bare bulb strobe to the white ceiling for even spread (fill) over the bed and model. The easiest way I found to ensure even spread while still keeping the products and model from becoming over and under exposed was by using my trusty light meter. I use the Sekonic L-758C, as an incident meter to judge the light all over the bed. My meter read a solid f8 aperture over the entire bed, which means I was getting close to what I wanted. After some tweaking, I managed to figure out that the missing component was the strip box ensuring that the BedJet was being highlighted well. I moved the strip box in closer and bam, we were good to go.
For post production, quite a bit of work was done to ensure that the products were depicted as modern and trendy. I used the healing brush tool on the backdrop’s floor, then desaturated the parts of the image that don’t have colorful components to -70. This helped bring out an even more minimal and clean feel. Some compositing was necessary to fix art-direction mistakes on set, such as the pillows not being centered or creases in the materials. After this, I decided to do a complete backdrop replacement. I selected the bed, bedside table and accents, and put them on a separate layer. On a layer below I added a gradient to help further emphasize the clean and minimal feel.
Rosa & Juan are a big step in my business career. I say this because they are my first clients to solely find me through digital advertising. After discussing their wedding and learning more about their wants and needs, we met up for coffee to discuss more. They are absolutely incredible people with hearts of gold. I wish them so much luck and love in their life, for they deserve it all.