Brian Lovelace | Los Angeles Wedding Photographer | Blog
What Brian Lovelace has been up to.
Blog, Photography, Lifestyle, Story, Timeline, Work,
536
paged,page-template,page-template-blog-large-image-whole-post,page-template-blog-large-image-whole-post-php,page,page-id-536,paged-2,page-paged-2,qode-quick-links-1.0,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-11.2,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.2.1,vc_responsive
 

Blog

Today I had the opportunity to create a couple of cool and creative GIFs that will help PortePlay by Conair launch and market their products. Check it out! 

Here is an example of an engaging digital advertisement that I created using a combination of Photoshop & Permiere Pro. Since the most engaging aspect of the image is the sparkling, our marketing agency decided to exaggerate it with a light, and take multiple photos and make a gif out of it. From there I cut it out, and applied it out and put it on a color background to make it pop. For this engagement, the customer has been running a campaign called “Freak the Fest Out” to promote clothing to wear to festivals like Coachella and others. The content was delivered over multiple platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Instagram Stories, and Snapchat. The average engagement increased and generated greater than usual commentary.

Here are a few shots from a recent photoshoot with BedJet. As you may know, I am the lead photographer and videographer at Hawke Media. This was an incredible opportunity to challenge myself and learn a lot about creative corporate photography with larger products.

We shot the setup on an 18’x18′ cyclorama backdrop at Apex Studios in DTLA. My process involved using four Profoto strobes; one large 24″x36″ source as a key light, one strip box source as a hair light, another strip box source as a highlight for the BedJet product, and another bare bulb strobe to the white ceiling for even spread (fill) over the bed and model. The easiest way I found to ensure even spread while still keeping the products and model from becoming over and under exposed was by using my trusty light meter. I use the Sekonic L-758C, as an incident meter to judge the light all over the bed. My meter read a solid f8 aperture over the entire bed, which means I was getting close to what I wanted. After some tweaking, I managed to figure out that the missing component was the strip box ensuring that the BedJet was being highlighted well. I moved the strip box in closer and bam, we were good to go.

For post production, quite a bit of work was done to ensure that the products were depicted as modern and trendy. I used the healing brush tool on the backdrop’s floor, then desaturated the parts of the image that don’t have colorful components to -70. This helped bring out an even more minimal and clean feel. Some compositing was necessary to fix art-direction mistakes on set, such as the pillows not being centered or creases in the materials. After this, I decided to do a complete backdrop replacement. I selected the bed, bedside table and accents, and put them on a separate layer. On a layer below I added a gradient to help further emphasize the clean and minimal feel.